The staff of the Center sends out your publicity, sells your tickets, keeps your audience comfortable and well fed, keeps everything clean, keeps the building going, keeps everybody out of each other's way, keeps all the technical stuff working, and is always available for advice. Your production is responsible for providing all the personnel necessary to mount your production here, including the designers and crew necessary for your load-in, performance, and strike. With at least four weeks advance notice the Technical Director can help you line up skilled local designers, electricians, riggers, costumers, and stagehands at both the amateur and professional levels. Our staff includes many skilled theatrical professionals who may also be recruited for your production during their off-hours. Because we host a mix of community theater and professional artists, the Center does not hire your crew. Instead, compensation and rate decisions are directly between you and the individual crew members you choose.
Below are typical minimum crew requirements for your consideration. Your production could demand less or much more depending on its complexity and the amount of time booked to mount it.
- Lecture or meeting - 0 crew required. General lighting and a mic or two can be preset by Center staff by advance request and will not be manned during your lecture.
- Children's show contract performer - 0 crew is provided beyond your own touring complement. General lighting and, if needed, a sound feed can be preset by Center staff by advance request and will not be manned during your performance.
- Weintraub Family Foundation Grant Recipient - 1 crew member with multiple responsibilities is funded. This provides some help during your load-in, some lighting and mixing as multiple duties permit, and some help during your strike.
- Straight drama - Your load-in will require Set, lighting, sound, and costume designers, 4 carpenters, 3 electricians, 2 costumers, 1 properties, 1 sound operator, and 1 stage manager. Running your show will require 1 stage manager with 1 lighting and 1 sound operator. Striking your show will require 4 carpenters, 3 electricians, 2 costumers, 1 properties, 1 sound operator and 1 stage manager.
- Bus and truck show - Your load-in will require 3 electrics, 2 sound, 2 fly, and 4 general crew members. Running your show will require 1 lighting, 1 sound, and 1 fly operator, and 2 general stage crew members. Your strike will require 3 electrics, 2 sound, 2 fly, and 4 general crew members.
- Full blown summer musical - Set, lighting, sound, rigging, and costume work commences far in advance of the load-in. All the designers, 3 stage managers with 8 carpentry, 6 electrics, 4 costumes, 4 fly, 3 props, and 4 sound crew for the load-in. Rehearsals will require all the designers, really good programmers for the lighting and rigging systems, and a sound engineer with great ears at the mixer in addition to the running crew. Running your show will require 3 stage managers with a followspot or two, 1 light operator, 1 sound operator, 1 or 2 fly operators, 1 costumer, 1 props, and a set crew of 2 to 4. striking your show will require 3 stage managers with 8 carpentry, 6 electrics, 4 costumes, 4 fly, 3 props, and 4 sound crew.