Audition: Shakespeare in Love
Jan. 25 @ 1pm
Jan. 26 @ 7pm
Jan. 27 @ 7pm CALLBACKS
Up In One Productions announces open auditions for the romantic comedy, Shakespeare in Love by Lee Hall, adapted from the Academy Award-winning screenplay by Tom Stoppard & Marc Norman.
Will Shakespeare has writer's block... the deadline for his new play is quickly approaching and he is in desperate need of inspiration. Then, he meets his muse, Viola. This beautiful, aristocratic, young woman is Will’s greatest admirer and she will stop at nothing (including breaking the law) to appear in his next play.
Against a bustling background of mistaken identity, ruthless scheming and backstage theatrics, Will’s love for Viola quickly blossoms and inspires him to write his greatest masterpiece.
Directed by Kevin Archambault and Produced by Diana di Grandi
Location: The CENTER for Performing Arts at Rhinebeck.
Performance Dates: April 24 - May 10, 2020
Seeking: Male and Female actors age 18 to 70. Stage combat and dialect experience are a plus. Strongly encourage women, persons of color, and LGBTQ individuals to apply. We are committed to Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion in all areas of our work. Though we present Classic stories, we choose to present them in a way that reflects the world we now live in. Character Breakdown below.
Prepare / Bring: Please prepare something spoken that incorporates rhythm and rhyme - this could be a Shakespearean monologue or any song or poem that incorporates rhythm and rhyme. Bring your schedule and be prepared to list your conflicts.
- WILL SHAKESPEARE - Mid 20’s, early 30’s, poet and playwright
- VIOLA DE LESSEPS - F, mide 20's -30's, an admirer of Shakespeare and a brilliant actress. She must be able to disguise herself as a man.
- KIT MARLOWE, Late 20’s- 30’s, colleague, friend and inspiration
- FENNYMAN, Early 40’s-70’s, the money
- LAMBERT & FREES, Fennyman’s henchmen
- HENSLOWE, Early 40’s-70’s, owner and manager of The Rose Theatre
- RICHARD BURBAGE, Early 40’s-60’s, lead actor of The Chamberlain’s Men
- MISTRESS QUICKLY, wardrobe mistress
- QUEEN ELIZABETH, Mid 40’s-60’s
- EDMUND TILNEY – the Lord Chamberlain
- NURSE, Mid 40’s-60’s, servant to Viola
- SIR ROBERT DE LESSEPS, Early 40’s-60’s, Viola’s father
- LORD WESSEX, Early 40’s-60’s, betrothed to Viola
- CATLING – guard at De Lesseps
- Hall GUARDS (2) - at De Lesseps Hall
- BOATMAN WAITER BARMAN MOLLY & KATE, Tavern whores
- MUSICIANS RALPH – novice actor, plays Nurse and Petruchio
- NOL – novice actor, plays Benvolio and Sampson
- ROBIN – novice actor plays Lady Capulet
- ADAM – novice actor, plays Gregory, Benvolio and Servingman
- JOHN WEBSTER – street urchin, aspires to be a player
- WABASH – novice actor, Henslowe’s stammering tailor
- NED ALLEYN, 30’s- 40’s – lead actor of the Admiral’s Men, plays Mercutio
- SAM – actor, plays Juliet
- PETER -actor, plays Tybalt
- ENSEMBLE MEMBERS / MUSICIANS / ATTENDANTS